Saturday 19 November 2011

Interlude 2

My favorite and least favorite thing about street fundraising is that we work in a different location every day.  This is sometimes a pain because I have to figure out the transit system, but it is also cool because it gives me an excuse to visit little areas that I would never voyage to on my own.  Sometimes it feels a bit like a tour of concrete suburbs that could easily blend in with any English speaking country.  You know the ones that I'm talking about: the grocery store next to the bank next to the dive bar next to the old antique shop next to a series of dormant businesses with barred doors and dusty windows.  The streets are a monotonous set of strip malls pasted together on cracked pavement.  The occasional tree, plopped down like a castle in a fish tank serves to make you feel as if your habitat is closer to the natural world, providing the illusion that you can escape from your bubble at any time - or is it an illusion?  

No comments:

Post a Comment