Sunday 23 October 2011

Apartment/Job

Today is October 23rd, exactly one month since I first arrived in Australia.  I have done so many things and met so many people in the last month that September 23rd seems like forever ago.  I realize that I have neglected to write much since I arrived in Sydney -- honestly it is because I started panicking a bit.  I got to Sydney a week ago and everyone was warning me that come summer all of the backpackers would arrive and hostels would be unaffordable and I might not be able to find a job.  So of course, ah this is so typical of me, I thought: oh no what if I can't find a job or a place to live and I have to fly back to the Bay Area without ever making it to Melbourne or Tazmania and I fail at life and end up crying in some sad corner of the world...so I went obsessively house and job hunting and I actually found both within six days, which I think is somewhat of a record -- though I am still looking for a second job.

I found the job yesterday, completely by happenstance.  I was walking by and I randomly decided to stop into a downstairs bar/restaurant.  This is how the conversation went:
Me (in a really cheery voice): Hi, I was walking by and this looks like such a cool place.  I am just wondering if you are hiring
Manager: Yes we are.  Do you have experience?
Me: Yeah totally
Manager: Come in at nine for a trial and if it works out your hired.
I know what!?


So, it turns out that this place has only been open for three weeks and they just started looking for people, which is lucky because I just randomly came across it but unlucky because it is only open Wednesday through Saturday and I don't even know how many hours I can get.  Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself. During my trial I made about a million dumb mistakes:  I got confused about prices, pressed the wrong buttons on the register, gave some people too much foam, not enough foam (though apparently the amount of foam you like is related to your nationality: I gave this Dutch guy what I thought was way too much foam -- it rose like a half inch over the glass -- and he looked so happy that I think he actually fell in love with me for a second).  The worst mistake that I made was confusing the lemonade with really cheap margarita mix.  I don't think that a vodka margarita mix is a very good drink.  Anyway,I worked alongside this awesome British girl who was totally patient and taught me everything, and the most beautiful and ridiculous thing about the whole situation is that the manager was running around the whole time and didn't seem to notice any of the mistakes that I made.  At the end of the day he said that I was hired but we still need to work out hours (which means I probably need to get a second job) but whatever.  It restored my faith in my Sydney job search.

Now, about the apartment.  I found it on Gumtree (the Australian version of Craigslist). It is an awesome high rise building with a rooftop pool right in the cool gay area of the CBD.  I am paying a little bit less than I was at HQ and once prices go up it will be a lot less.  I live with three Turkish university students.  They read the Koran obsessively, get angry when I bare my shoulders, and pray facing Mecca six times daily (kidding -- there are so many stupid stereotypes about Islamic people.)  They are actually super chill and open minded.  I met them a few days ago and this guys Korean girlfriend made everyone dinner.  That is when I decided I could stay for a few months.

I moved in this morning.  My hostel friends are all surprised that I am leaving because most people talk about finding a place but take about a month to actually move out.  Estelle hasn't even searched for a job or an apartment yet, she just laughs at my stress and says, "Lili, you are so silly.  It will work out."  Maybe Europeans and Australians are more relaxed than Americans.  I feel like I am the only person that worries in this entire country...oh well, there is always room for growth.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment